Sunday, August 14, 2011

Shark Teeth

The hubby and I took a 4-day vacation to Myrtle Beach the other weekend. He'd never been so I was excited to show him around and introduce him to new things. When I go to the beach I have a tradition of walking the beach every morning looking for shark's teeth. Scott found his first shark tooth our first morning out and was so excited. He learned quickly how to determine a tooth from a black shell. These are the teeth and shells we found our first morning out:



The teeth & shells we found the 2nd morning:


The reason why I'm posting these pics is a moral I learned from hunting for shark's teeth. The first day we were hunting for the teeth and looking so close at almost everything black in the shape of a tooth in the sand. lol. The 2nd day, we were just walking the beach not looking for anything. That 2nd day when we weren't looking is when we found the bigger, more perfect shark's teeth. Our first morning out all I seemed to find were small, broken ones that weren't in the best condition. I found several long ones that morning once I stopped looking, if that makes sense. The small, broken ones were ones I had dug out of the sand while I was focused; the longer ones were literally just laying there, no digging required. I don't know if you can tell a difference between the teeth on Day 1 or 2, but I can. It kinda taught me a lesson. Not sure exactly what it was. I kinda feel like this experience was telling me to relax more and not be so determined and focused, otherwise I'd miss some of the best things in life. Once I became carefree and just enjoyed the time with my husband did I find some of the best teeth of our trip. I'm not great with words and maybe some of you think I'm analyzing it way too much, that they're just teeth, but a simple experience of finding shark's teeth was like a life lesson for me. I'm not a very easy-going person and I like to have a plan for almost everything because I don't like being in stressful situations where I don't know what's going on. My husband on the other hand, he is very calm and laid back. That's one trait I hope to learn from him. :)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment